Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Two More Days

So I have been scrambling around this week taking care of some last minute travel essentials, and although I cannot believe the time has come at last to embark on this adventure, I feel quite calm and very prepared. The last few months of researching, planning itineraries, getting vaccines, obtaining passports and visas, and preparing myself mentally, physically, and spiritually now seem like a haze. I feel ready. Although it is a little difficult and somewhat saddening saying goodbye to everyone I love around here. It is a bittersweet feeling leaving all these good people and comforts that I have at home, knowing that once I get on that plane I am on my own. That being said, it is also incredibly freeing. One of the reasons I have decided to travel is to step outside of my everyday routine that I have grown so accustomed to. I want to try living in a completely new way, not knowing what to expect when I wake up in the morning. And that is exciting. Also, knowing that I really have no obligations at this point, no boss to answer to, no commitments, no real responsibilities at all, just to enjoy every moment of every day. Call it what you will, but it feels great. Right now I just don't want to be tied down, I want to roam this crazy world and perhaps gain a little insight into life, into my own self, my hopes, fears, and desires, and hopefully become a better person for it, and be able to share my insights with everyone else. And maybe along the way, gain a little insight into the human experience itself, the experience that we all share no matter where we are on the globe.


I am excited to begin this journey. Over the last few months, I have seen so many puzzled faces, all wondering why the hell I would want to do this, and sometimes their reactions actually started to make me question what I am doing. But at the end of the day, this is what I want to do, and I am absolutely sure about doing it. I admit I am a little nervous, and have no idea what to really expect. But that is part of the fun. Fear will not hold me back. When I find myself in the middle of a crowded street surrounded by people that don't speak a word of english, and wonder, "how did I get here again?" I am just going to smile and soak it all in.


Two more nights in my comfortable bed, then out into the great unknown. Luckily I have a friend in Italy right now and will welcome the company for the first leg of the trip. I am planning on eating my full share of Italian treats, and drinking plenty of red wine. I wish I could remember something from that Italian class freshman year... Anyway, I am not sure when I will be able to make my first post abroad, I am hoping sometime in Florence. But stay tuned, these are just the previews.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this.

    Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire the fact that you are doing this! I think it is an amazing experience and journey that most wouldn't or couldn't do. Kudos to you for doing it while you can! I look forward to reading about your travels!!

    Eleni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I relate one hundred percent to this post. I have seen the puzzled faces, been doubting if it was such a great idea after all... also what you say about the freedom and the universal life experience is so true. This is the shit, Pat. We are some lucky bastards!!! :) enjoy to the fullest, i'll keep reading xox

    ReplyDelete