Friday, September 16, 2011

Dam







In Amsterdam Airport waiting for my flight to Rome. Today has been great. Arrived in Amsterdam at 7 AM and took the first train I could get into the city. Amsterdam is an amazing city, the canals are super cool and definatley are oneof the cities defining features. As soon as I walked out of Grand Central Station I started to roam, trying to find a place to get something in by belly. It was a little chillier here, but the sun came out and turned out to be a really nice day. The first place I saw was called Bulldog something or other, a little coffeeshop that apparently opens earlier than any other place in the area. I ordered a mango smoothie and sat next to a english guy probably in his mid 40s. The girl waiting on me just moved to Amsterdam from Vancouver to work for a year. After chatting it up for a good hour and a half with these two quite interesting people, I decided to go explore some more. The canadien, Britney, gave me a map to use and I headed out into the streets. Found Dam square where there is some really amazing architecture and a huge sculpture, and hung out there for a bit before wandering around for a little while. Spent a good bit of time near the canals watching some swans. Had an incredible spianch and goat cheese concuction from a bakery that tasted as good as it smelled, then later found a sandwich at a little spot which was one of the best I have ever had. Yes Europe knows their food, that I am finding out quick.

So after tiring myslef out walking around, I decided to rest and take a canal tour. This boat took us all around the canals pointing out historical spots. Pretty cool. Saw an excellent accordian player on the way back to the station, of which Iw ill soon post a video. Pictures hopefully will come soon. All in all, a great day in Amsterdam, I am pretty tired as I have not slept since I left home, but I still have to get to Rome and find my way to the Yellow Hostel. Great time.

1 comment:

  1. Although I'm sure I will really enjoy the pictures you post of your travels, I'm also looking forward to reading about the people you meet in various places!

    ReplyDelete