Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Three Hour Tour

Day two in Delhi was quite an adventure. Hmmm where to begin... my hotel set up a bus tour for me today for 300 rupees which I happily accepted, though I did not know what I was really getting into. The guy from the hotel walked me to the street corner and 5 minutes later, a bus pulls up and he tells me to jump in... ok why not. So there I am in the bus and quickly realize I am the only non-indian on the bus, and that most if not all of the fellow bus riders spoke very little english. Thankfully the tour guide spoke English well and would help me out a lot, showing immense kindness to me. At first I did not realize but apparently I was very intriguing to a lot of the people on the bus, and got a lot of stares throughout the day. I did not mind. First stop was Laxmi Naryan Mandir, a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva and Krishna. I left my shoes at the door along with everyone else and perused the temple for a half hour. Really amazing to see, it was such an inviting place, and I felt a very calm energy inside it. There were paintings depicted scenes from the Bhagavad Gita on the walls with script written in English. Just beautiful. I was handed a pamphlet upon leaving which spoke of the unity of one God in Hinduism. That all the many gods are really representational of only One and that the way to God is through showing kindness to others. We went to the Indira Ghandi Museum next which was cool but not mind blowing. This is where she lived in the later years of her life and also where she was killed. There is a path covered in crystal marking her last steps. India Gate was next and a guy asked me if he could take a picture with me. I said sure, then asked his friend to take one of us. Shortly after, two kids said hello and wanted a picture as well. I told them my name, and they pointed out some things nearby. They were from Mumbai but seemed to have a knowledge of things. They were in another bus but we would meet a few more times throughout the day, always recognizing them by hearing, "Patrick Patrick!"

After this I started to wonder if we would get a meal soon, and pretty soon the guide announce something in Hindi which I didn't understand at all, but I did catch the word "lunch." We got out of the bus and shuffled into a crowded cafeteria style place in which I was the only westerner yet again. Sitting across from an India couple in their 60's, wondering what they were going to serve me and if I was about to get food poisoning, the guide came over and said something of which I did not understand but said yes. Out camne a metal tray with three different portions. dhal, some kind of chutney, and who knows what else, and some chapati bread and rice. There was not even a silverware option here, unlike at the hotel, so I had to use my hands and try not too look out of place I think I am getting the hang of it now. I dove in and loved it. I kept thinking wow this is really really good, wish I knew what it was. A little spicy but I did not mind. A guy came over and gave me a little more of who knows what. I was full fast and paid 60 rupees. Pretty good meal for under 2 dollars US. I am loving the exchange rate.

We then went to Delhi Haat which is a mall specializing in textiles and cloths. But they have other cool things as well. Lots of little icons of Hindu gods. Keep in mind that I had no idea where I was going on this ride, but did not feel lost. I felt like I was in good hands and was enjoying every stop. We went to the Qutub Minar complex, which was built by Moghal rulers some time in the past. Not sure exactly, wanna say 13th century or so. Could be way off. This was really cool, the architecture was amazing. And there was a huge tower that was the center of the whole complex. Lots of intricate carvings on the temple walls, and tombs of late Muslim greats. I met two american girls here and they offered to take a picture. Always great running into americans. Forget if I am missing something in between, but the Lotus Temple was shortly after and this was just great. This is a Bahai Temple, which allows all faiths to worship there. The temple itself is in the form of a huge Lotus flower, and is surrounded by beautiful lawns and pools. Inside was really cool. One woman got up to the front and sang a few verses of the Koran, which just melted me heart it was so pretty. Than the Our Father was recited, and then some chanting. Really interesting to see all of the faiths intermingled, and it felt very welcoming inside. I thought if it was not for having to get back to the tour, I could spend some time here. Very peaceful.

Last we hit the Mahatma Ghandi memorial, where his body lies. Really beautiful place with a simple square and flame burning constantly. The sun was just setting and it was really calming, and great to pay tribute to one of the greatest souls to walk the earth in the last century. One of the plaques read, "live simply so that others can live simply" Ghandi's words which really ring true. We were finally heading back in the direction we came and I was wondering if I'd ever get off this bus, as it had now been many hours and I had had my fill. Finally we got to Pahar Gang where I was staying, but I had to walk a bit, not wanted to get lost I took an auto rickshaws offer to take me to my destination. Looking back I think I could have found it if I had kept walking, but the rickshaw was a hell of an experience. In bumper to bumper traffic for a bit, but that did not stop my driver from  gunning it when he had a few feet to spare. Zooming in and out of cars, and people, and bikes, not to mention dogs, the ride was entertaining to say the least. Still can't get over how these people can manage not crashing into each other more often, but I have yet to see it happen. So I got back to the confines of my hotel and sat down to eat a good meal to end the day. I am loving India more and more, and I have much much more to do and see. I was really happy I got the chance to do the tour, I saw a lot of places and the whole thing was just a crazy strange awesome experience. I am thankful for finding my way so far. I am adjusting well I think. The dirt and grime and trash is very different from the US but the shock level is wearing off. Still, everything is new and interesting. Nothing is dull that is for sure. I have one more day and night at Anoop Hotel, and then off to Vrindavan. I am hoping to see Chandi Chowk tomorrow, a huge crazy bazaar, then Akshardim Temple ( note sure if spelling is correct) which I believe is the oldest around, then hopefully Lodi Gardens for some relax time. So excited to be here, I thank everyone who is reading this, I would love feedback, my email is patlambdin@yahoo.com if anyone would like to say hello or tell me what you think of the blog. Please don't hesitate. I will leave you with more pictures.
Qutub Minar
Lotus Temple
Ghandi Memorial

2 comments:

  1. i am so enjoying reading about your adventure! It sounds like you're a bit of a celebrity there with people wanting your picture!! Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, your pictures are beautiful...and your words descriptive. Hmmm...might I want to visit there someday?

    ReplyDelete