Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Il Gatto e la Volpe



Another day in the life. I like Florence more and more the longer I am here. Had a wonderful day highlighted by a dinner to end all dinners. Il Gatto e la Vople was the restaurant, ehich featured a family style special for tables of 5 and over. Luckily Justin and his friends as well as myself totaled ten. I was excited all day to attend this dinner after hearing about it last night, and I was njot dissapointed. For 15 euro a person, we were treated like royalty. All the wine we could drink, and lots and lots of food. Strarting off with bread and olive oil, the waitor proceeded to bring out antipasti dishes which consisted of fresh mozzerela and cherry tomatoes with basil, marinated eggplant, zucchini, and peppers, a meat plate featuring turkey, prosciutto and salami, and bruscetta and mushroom crustini. I was already out of my mind as I started to eat, and couldnt stop laughing. Second course was pasta. Gnocci and meatballs with a ragu sauce, penne vodka, and mushrooms ravioli with truffle sauce. All out of this world, even though I was already stuffed. No room for dessert after this. Definitley one of the food highlights of the trip to Italy. It was really nice hanging out with good people and eating good food, and I am really fortunate to have had a friend here who had some connections.
J Rock Caruso

Gnocci


Cant remember his name but he knew everything about Florence

Before food heaven I did some more exploring and climbed the Doumo, which has about 463 steps I think. It was certainly a work out but worth it, the view from the top was amazing. You can see all of Florence and the sorrounding Tuscan hills. Unfortunatley I forgot my camera, but you will have to take my word for it. I felt bad for some of the older folks who did not know what they were getting into, and after climbing halfway they were already asking eachother why they were doing this again. Lots of americans, I met a guy from Charlotte standing in line. After this I headed to Ponche Vechhio which is a bridge over the Arno river. Crossed teh river and ate lunch, which was pretty amazing in its own right. Bruscetta followed by spinach and ricotta ravioli topped with butter sauce and herbs. I have really really enjoyed having leisurly lunches here, eating the best food on the globe. Nothing compares. After not being able to move for a bit, I kept wandering, and came across a classical guitar player in a piazza by a church, whos playing was excellent. I am gald I stumbled across him. Then after hanging by the Arno in the sun for a while, I went back to the hostel for a nap before meeting Justin and going to Piazza de Michaelangelo, which overlooks the Arno and gives a great view of Florence as well. Then we had that excellent dinner, and now I am at the hostel doing laundry and getting ready for bed. I am going to take Justins student pass and get into the Ufizi Museaum  for free tommorow and then head back to Rome in the evening, then a flight early thursday morning. My adventures in Italy are coming to a rapid close. India is calling.

The fake David
 I am really glad that I decided to stop over here before India, it has been a really nice week, and I am going to miss it. Lots of memories from a short time, that is for sure. Cannot believe India is so close. I am expecting to be blown away even more upon arrival in India. It will be like night and day compared to Europe, and I am really excited to see what I find next. Or what finds me. May be a bit before I check in again, but hopefully not too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment