Sunday, October 9, 2011

Music

Did not take any pictures today but will update you all on my day. I am really excited at how the day turned out. I have come down with a cold, and was feeling kinda bad this morning, and did not feel much like adventuring. An australian named James who I met the night before joined me while I was eating breakfast and gave me some enthusiasm which was much needed. He was very into music and has been going around recording whatever music he can find in India, and actually some really great equipment. So I told him he should join me in my search for Indian musicians and that I had a few places and numbers written down. So off we went onto Bengali Thola, a narrow street where there are hundreds of shops, and lots of little music shops that cater to tourists, we were not interested in this, so we kept going, asking people where Chotu's music shop was. We found it after some work, but the owner was not in for another hour. I sat down and played some sitars and a few guitars that were also there. A German came in and was interested in buying a tampura, so we sat around and played together for a bit while he chanted some really interesting stuff. He was very into yoga and gave me some info for my next destination actually about an ashram to stay in. James got some great recordings of these jam sessions, while I was playing guitar, and he promised to email them to me. Finally Chuto came in and I told him I was interested in music and wanted to meet the musicians that Shiyan told me about. He called a sitarist that said he could give me a lesson at 4, and so a few hours later I returned and wiated for him. He did not show up till 5 but I ended up getting a great lesson, although he was moving a little fast for me. His name is Druva Mishra and is a really excellent sitar player coming from the Ravi Shankar tradition. My fingers were a little out of shape after three weeks of not playing, but I surprised myself at who well I kept up. Tomorrow we will meet again for another lesson. I am so excited I am getting a chance to study, although I only have a few days, it is really nice and I hope to learn a lot. A vocalist named Manaj came walking down the street earlier and the boy who worked in the shop stopped him and introduced him to me, since I had told him I wanted to meet him. Just happened to be walking that way.. So at 6 pm tomorrow I will go to his house, and he has agreed to play for me. So I am doing quite well on finding music so far. With only a few days I want to see and learn as much as I can. Tomorrow it is back to the burning ghats, and then some music lessons. Still have to fit in a day trip to Sarnath, where the Buddha taught his first sermon. Till next time, I am sure there will be much to tell...

1 comment: