Tuesday, October 11, 2011

More Music

 I have decided to lengthen my stay in Varanasi and leave on October 20th. I am having too much fun here, and there are so many opportunities opening up. I have had three sitar lessons with Druv Mishra, and am learning a lot. He has really challenged me, but I am keeping up much to my surprise. The last two days he has showed me the Bhopali Raga. It is a pentatonic raga in the major key for anyone that cares. There might be a few. The people at the music shop where I have been having lessons are really nice and let me come in at any time and practice. I met with a vocalist yesterday night and he sang and we discussed Indian music for an hour or so over some chai. Really nice guy, I think I will ask him to give me a singing lesson or two while I am here. I am also hoping to meet with a tabla player to learn more about Indian rhythm cycles. I am trying to fit as much in as I can here.
 It has been amazing that the musicians are so accessible to foreigners like myself. Manoj made it clear that it does not matter what country you come from, only that you have interest and dedication. What a city Varanasi is. Once you get used to the clutter, it is a really great place to be. The Ganges in the evening after sunset is beautiful. And every morning I awake to bells and chanting as people take their morning baths. The the right is the sitar that I might very well purchase, as the price is very cheap compared to in the US, and quality is hard to match. I have been using it for the last few days. Yesterday as I was sitting by the Ganges, a guy came up and started massaging my arm, and before I knew it I was getting a full on ayurvedic massage. It was quite enjoyable, although I did not ask for it. He asked for 600 rupees, I only forked up 150. Money well spent. But today as been quiet. It is nice taking it easy in the morning, and studying music in the afternoon and evenings. I am heading off to a music festival that commences tonight, featuring some great Indian musicians from around the country. I'm excited to continue playing and listening and learning. Here are more pics from the last few days.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Pat,

    I am so enjoying following your adventures on here. What an amazing journey you are having. I feel I am learning so much just from reading about it! I look forward to the next chapters and seeing you when you return!

    xoxo,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Thankyou! Yes it as been amazing. I cannot wait to see you when I return and tel you all about it. Will you be at thanksgiving this year? I might be back

    ReplyDelete